"Boys are beyond the range of anyone's sure understanding, at least when they are between the ages of 18 months and 90 years." ~James Thurber

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Here we go Again

I promise to never take for granted the great education I got in my small-town, neighborhood schools.  I had art, music, P.E. and a fully staffed and funded library.  I was able to take band lessons starting in sixth grade, play sports in middle school and high school without paying large fees, and had class sizes of 25-30, not 35-40.  I only wish my kids could have the same.

It's that time of year when MPS sets the budget and the parents of MGIS scramble to figure out how to make up the difference.  With a $600 dollar per pupil cut, things do not look good.  On the block this year are 2 teaching positions, all of the remaining aides, and one secretarial position.  In addition music will be cut from 30 min a week to 15 min and physical education to 20 min a week.  My sons are lucky to attend one of the high-performing schools in MPS, just imagine what it is like on the other end of the spectrum.

I'm especially disheartened by the unbelievable sums of money being thrown into all thing politics.  If one-tenth of the money being thrown into the 2013 elections could be funneled into the schools, imagine the difference it would make. Imagine.

No comments: