"Boys are beyond the range of anyone's sure understanding, at least when they are between the ages of 18 months and 90 years." ~James Thurber

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Countdown Begins

A recent bout of hot, humid weather here in Wisconsin has given a little preview of what summer will have in store.  If we weren't already counting down the days until the end of the school year, we certainly are now.  I'm not sure who is more anxious for that final day of school - the boys or the husband.  If I had to place a wager, I would put my money on the husband.

Ben has two weeks of teaching left, some exam review, and then final exams.  They aren't the final exams of my high school days with test time limited to one hour.  At any rate his last day is June 11th and he flies out to Europe on the 14th.  Since his great European vacation to France and Germany includes chaperoning a group of high schoolers, he won't be officially free until his return on the 23rd.  It's hard to count a trip to Europe as a hardship though.

John has to stick it out the longest with his last day being June 14th.  Why the students need to report on a Monday is beyond me.  Perhaps it is just one more example of how messed up the  Milwaukee Public School system can be.  I'm sure he'll be anxious for friends and activities about three days after school ends.  Anyone care to guess how many times I will hear, "I'm bored" this summer?

Sam's last day of preschool is tomorrow.  He has really enjoyed his time at preschool and I am sure he will miss having playmates his age.  He'll head off to Milwaukee German  Immersion next year starting 4K as a five-year-old.  He is ready for friends, school and all the learning; I am ready to let him go.

That leaves Andrew who is blissfully unaware that his two-year-old birthday is rapidly approaching.  He'll love having his brothers around to bother.  Having discovered a love for the sprinkler and the sand box, he is certain to join the others in many hours of backyard play.  For him, everyday is a Saturday.  Ah, to be young and free again....

While the air conditioners hum in the background, I leave you with a preview of one of our favorite summer activities -

2 comments:

Sara said...

We have a really great hammock-stand and everything-but I can't stand hammocks. Do you have some sort of cover on yours? It looks WAY more comfortable.

I think TX summer is going to be WI summer on crack. We have not been outside AT ALL today due to really hot weather. I'm going to go insane!

Anonymous said...

You have such a great backyard. With the sprinkler going and the shade from the tree and the umbrella, the kids could spend all day out there. And probably will, many of the days this summer.
Curt