"Boys are beyond the range of anyone's sure understanding, at least when they are between the ages of 18 months and 90 years." ~James Thurber

Saturday, June 26, 2010

From the swirling thoughts in my head

I struggle to turn my brain off.  I muse, over-analyze, and generally over-think almost everything in my life.   I can drive myself crazy so in an attempt to shake some of these things out of my head, I'm going to provide you with a narration of my thought process this morning.....

Money.  How do we make ends meet?  Are we willing to make the sacrifices needed to truly get ourselves on better footing?  Do we have a choice?  Why does it seem to disappear as fast as we earn it?

Friends.  Am I a good friend?  How can I connect more?  Do the boys need outside playmates?  Should I be more proactive in arranging playdates?  Would restarting a Moms' group be in my best interest?

Jobs.  When do I need to go back to full-time work?  What kind of job am I qualified for?  Is it possible for me to be a stay-at-home mom indefinitely?  What if the parents of the children I am supposed to babysit for in the fall are unable to find jobs?

Family.  Why haven't I scheduled a visit to my only living Grandma's house?  Are the boys connected to their extended family?  Am I a good daughter, wife, mother, cousin, aunt???? Why do I still wish to have more children when there are days I can't handle the three I have?

My place in life.  I'm happy as a stay-at-home mom, but should I want more?  Am I wasting my talents by staying home?  What are my talents?  

My health.  If I really want to lose weight why am I sitting at the computer?  Why can't I convince my 34 year-old self to eat healthier?  Are vegetables evil?

And so it goes....my brain, the endless diatribe.  Happy weekend.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Michelle,

Thanks for putting your thoughts into words. I think about many of the same things on a daily basis. I think it is a women and mother thing. Always, "Am I good enough". As a stay-at-home mom you don't get a semi-annual progress report. We don't really see the fruits of our labor for 20+ years.

I just try to remember that my parents were far from perfect and I am still a functioning member of society :)

Hope you can shut your mind off for a while this weekend. Levi and Lennon are gone camping, Makena is napping and I am just going to do nothing!!

P.S. Vegetables are not evil!!

Sara said...

You really thought of all of that this morning? Wow! :) I hear you, though. Being a mom and wife is hard enough, but then trying to figure out what's best for everyone involved (and balancing monetary, emotional, and other issues)is a whole other problem. I do find taking things one at a time helps (as does living in the current moment, with brief thoughts of the future). I also pray-a lot-for wisdom, discernment and the general ability to get through a moment.

As for the vegetable thing (and getting healthy thing), I heard someone on TV this week talk about how it needs to become a lifestyle choice-not a diet, not something you do for a bit of time, but something you embrace either for yourself or your family, too. I highly recommend "The Healthiest Kid in the Neighborhood" by Dr. Sears. He's the man who single-handedly convinced me to feed our whole family better, most of the time. Then again, I sent BK to the store tonight to buy cheetos, but hey, at least 1. they weren't already in the house and 2. he bought a small bag! Good luck with all of your decisions.

And, you are a great cousin! :)