"Boys are beyond the range of anyone's sure understanding, at least when they are between the ages of 18 months and 90 years." ~James Thurber

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Shift Changes and Priorities

Not much new in the Anderson Homeland.  I think everyone is counting down the days until the end of school and the start of summer.  We've been busy yet have had no major events.  Andrew and Wyatt continue to alternate between angelic and demonic behavior; at this moment Andrew is playing the part of the devil and Wyatt the part of innocent bystander.  I'm sure by the time I finish this post, they will have switched roles.

John and Sam are back into the swing of school as is Ben.  Unfortunately this year the boys' break did not correspond with Ben's so it seemed as if there was no break at all.  Ben is busy coaching shot and discus for girl's track.  It has meant a lot of evenings away from home and less time for the two of us together.  We see each other for brief periods in the early morning (assuming I'm awake; I'm often just rolling out the bed as he is walking out the door) and in the evening when we switch cars and kids and once again head our separate ways.  As I contemplate the prospect of returning to work, it has brought home the costs and benefits of working the opposite shift of your partner.  Returning to full-time day work next year is not in the cards for me as the cost of child care for Andrew would eat up much of my earnings, but the prospect of a another year of working opposite Ben's schedule is not appealing.  Then again, a Zits cartoon published two weeks ago Sunday summarize it best, "The days are long, but the years are short."  It is time once again to get my priorities in order and make the best decision I can for our family.  After all, the only thing that is certain is that time will keep ticking.

No comments: