"Boys are beyond the range of anyone's sure understanding, at least when they are between the ages of 18 months and 90 years." ~James Thurber

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Sleepless in Milwaukee

It's 11 PM.  Shadow the cat and the rhythmic thump of the dishwasher are my late night companions.  Outside a fresh layer of snow covers up all the ugliness and makes the world look fresh and welcoming.  In spite of the political turmoil underlying our daily lives it has been a good weekend so far.  Family and then friends joined us for two nights in a row of tasty dinners and good conversation.  The boys have illuminated our lives with their silly antics and unconditional love.

I am avoiding heading to bed; my pre-sleep thoughts linger on finances, changes coming to our lives, and things to be done.  I am not one to let things go easily and am struggling to find a way to quell my worries.  I ruminate on all the possibilities and in the end seem to accomplish little.  So tonight I type, ramble, with Shadow resting his warm furry head on my arm.

When I was younger, my good friend Lucy told me about how her family makes a wish when 11:11 appears on the clock.  So since third grade I have been making my wish whenever I happen upon 11:11.  Tonight I shall wait for 11:11 to roll onto the clock face once more and make my wish.  What will your wish be?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a freak about 11:11 too! I wonder if Lucy passed it along to me too...or maybe you did!

If you ever need to get your mind of things to fall asleep you should just what I didn't to fall asleep at grandma and grandpas...repeat "Haaaaa-Chooooo Charlie Brown" over and over while swinging your legs back and forth. Works like a charm...though it may annoy Ben like it annoyed you and Sira!! :)
-MOlly