"Boys are beyond the range of anyone's sure understanding, at least when they are between the ages of 18 months and 90 years." ~James Thurber

Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Big Catch

This afternoon the boys were apparently struggling to find activities to keep them occupied.  After literally bouncing off the walls, tackling one another, and other minor violations of household rules, Sam was sent upstairs to play in his room.

He came downstairs to play Chutes and Ladder with John and Ben and this conversation ensued:
Me:  "Is that a new shirt?"
Sam: "Yes."
Me: "Why did you change shirts?"
Sam: "Because I got my other one wet."
Me: "How did you get your shirt wet?"
Sam: "I was playing with the aquarium."
***At this point I could no longer stifle my laughter.  I tried but I just couldn't.  Ben sent John out of the room and maintained his composure enough to continue with the conversation.***
Ben: "What were you doing in the aquarium?"
Sam:  "I was trying to catch the fish.  I caught one but I let it go."

After a quick lecture on reasons not to play in the aquarium and a firm warning never to touch the fish or even the glass on the aquarium, Sam was sent upstairs to think for a bit.  Upon further inspection, Sam's hands had been in the aquarium long enough to be wrinkled.  Not only had he caught one of the angel fish, he caught two, and moved an aquarium rock onto of the third.  After replacing the plants and rescuing the third fish from beneath a rock, it appears one of the fish may not make it.

Perhaps this is all part of Sam's master plan to get hermit crabs once the fish are gone.

2 comments:

Sara said...

This story makes my decision to keep buying random cheapo goldfish and betta fish (not to cheap, I inadvertently purchased a $9 one last week) and keep them on the kitchen table where I can see them (rather than letting Braedy decide to make them "jump" in his room) a very, very good one. At least the crabs would pinch Sam (in theory).

Kate said...

Be sure to bring spare clothes when you come to visit our house! If Sam is intent on looking for fish in our pond, he'll be soaked (and frustrated).