"Boys are beyond the range of anyone's sure understanding, at least when they are between the ages of 18 months and 90 years." ~James Thurber

Friday, April 30, 2010

Things I never thought I would say.



The boys are crazy.  Perhaps it's the warmer weather bringing us glimpses of the summer ahead; perhaps they are sneaking pure sugar into their meals; perhaps they are just your typical boys but they are crazy.  I mean bouncing-off-the-walls, screaming-like-eagles (or I guess I should say dragons),  making-a-joke-of-everything, crazy.  This makes for times when I find myself saying to my own children things that when my parents said them to me, I swore I never would repeat to my own children.  Here's a short list of sayings that we all hated to hear in our youth and are destined to repeat to our own kids:

  • "Because I said so."
  • "Sit still for once."
  • "Are you listening?"
  • "Do you understand what I am trying to say."
  • "No and I mean it."
And then there is the list that I never imagined I would say.  Unfortunately this list grows longer with each passing day...
  • "Get your hands out of your pants."
  • "Don't wipe your nose on me."
  • "Don't step on your brother's {insert assorted body part here}."
  • "Get your foot out of your bowl."
  • "Take the {book, toy, piece of garbage} out of your mouth."
  • "Please don't suck on my hair."
All is well in the Anderson Asylum for the evening as the three are safely tucked into bed.  The craziness is taking a brief rest, only to refuel for the morning.  Another day without needing a padded room - not for the kids, but for us parents who are trying our best to keep the craziness a bit controlled without investing in child-sized straight jackets.

2 comments:

ekshaughn said...

"Because I'm the mom, that's why."
"Finger out of your nose, please." (to Ryan, at which point Devin promptly jams her finger up her nose)

halelehrer said...

I'll tell you when your older, one of my personal hated and now I find myself using it also with the boys.